Text scams can be ridiculously stupid.
I still receive text scams from time to time asking for prepaid load and telling me I won some promo. Lately, the quality of the text scam messages have significantly degraded. Take the one below for example from 09067538164 :
Congrats! Ur SIM # had won! Php.950,000.00 “hndog pngkabuhayan ni”Pres.BENIGNO ‘noy,noy AQUINO”To claim ur prize.Pls.Call me now.I’m Ms.LEAH LOPEZ, (Auditor of Phils.Charity Foundation)DTI-#01401.s10
This is just one of the thousands (and thousands) of text scams being sent everyday. Plain stupidity. With that type of scam, who would take bait? Here are the reasons that makes it an ineffective spiel:
- I won PHP 950,000.00 and you inform me through text? I say take a thousand off my winnings, buy PHP 1,000.00 worth of load; call me!
- “hndg pngkabuhayan ni”Pres.BENIGNO’noy,noy AQUINO” : We have a Jejemon scammer now?
- “Ms.LEAH LOPEZ”: The names sounds too perfect, girl. If you’re going to use aliases, make it sound more Pilipino. Use common first names like: “Julie Ann,” “Mary Ann,” and “Charlene Mae” or authentic-sounding first names like “Hilda,” “Susan” and “Rose Marie.”
- Phils.Charity Foundation: The name is too general. It’s from our **** president and you use “Foundation.” I doubt if Mr. President could even come up with a “foundation” other than “Mommy and Daddy Foundation.” Next time, use appealing names like, “Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Agency” (PCSA) You get to use the first 3 words of the name and they won’t even know the difference from the real PCSO (Philippine Charity Sweepstake Office).
- Lastly, don’t you know how easy it is to verify DTI Sales Promo Permit Numbers. Click here.
Reminders to avoid Text Scam:
- If you haven’t joined any promo, there’s no way you’ll win big prizes.
- A winner usually receives a written notice (through letter or telegram) from the provider, not through a simple Jejemon text message.
- Do not provide private information like Bank Account information, Credit Card Number and Billing Address even if they say it’s for “verification” purposes only.
- Do not deposit money or send prepaid load if they say it will be used to pay for the “tax” of you winnings.