Read this guide and find out how to unlock a Huawei 3G Modem. Detailed step-by-step guide.
Huawei 3G modems are shipped out by providers are usually lock. Read on and find out how to easily unlock your Huawei 3G Modem.
Most 3G modems available are locked to a single network to avoid the use of SIMs from competitors with similar or better service. As all product of technology, there are ways to unlock these modems.
The following step-by-step procedure on how to unlock your Huawei E1550 3G modem. The same work may work with other models but I can’t guarantee the result will be the same.
What you need?
Calculating the Unlocker Code
All Huawei 3G modems come with an IMEI Number (International Mobile Equipment Identifier). The IMEI will be used to calculate for the unlock code using the Huawei Modem Unlock Code Generator.
You can also go to this website to generate the unlock code.
1. Determine the IMEI Number of your E1550 3G Modem by removing the micro-SIM. It will be labeled as “IMEI”.
2. Open the Huawei Unlock Code Generator.
3. Enter the IMEI Number in the field provided and click the “Calculate” button. Take note of the “Unlocker Code.”
Now that we have the unlock code, we’re going to write it in the 3G modem to open it. Remove the micro-SIM card and connect the 3G modem to the computer.
1. Open the Huawei Modem Code Writer.
2. The Code Writer will automatically detect the modem. Make sure that your modem is selected under “Comport Setup.”
3. Press the “Unlock Modem” button. A pop window will appear asking you to enter the code.
4. Enter the code on the field provided and click “OK”.
Now you have an unlock Huawei E1550 Modem. Be wary of unlocking the modem as you may encounter errors beyond repair.
1. I’ve recently found out that there are Huawei 3G Modems with Customized Firmware. Modems with this firmware cannot be unlocked. You need to flash/update the firmware first before performing this unlocking procedure.
If you are getting the “ERROR” message, it’s probable that you have a customized firmware loaded in your unit.
How to check?
Go to www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads. Download the software and install it. Plug the modem, open the DC-Unlocker and click the “Magnifying Glass” icon. The progr am will detect your modem and provide the info.
Look for “SIM Lock Status”. If it has a customized firmware, you will get this:
SIM Lock status : Locked (customized firmware)
2. Here’s the procedure on Flashing a Huawei E1550 3G Modem.